Jeff Donaldson with his work Wives of Shango, ca. 1970. Gelatin silver print. Photographer unknown. Jeff Donaldson Papers, Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution. (Cover of Archives of American Art [Fall 2021])
- “The Political Economy of AfriCOBRA," Archives of American Art 60.2 (Fall 2021): 26-45
- “The Economies of Black Culture: Commercial Art in/as African American Art,” Questionnaire on Art and the Economy, American Art 33.3 (Fall 2019): 14-19
- “The Pioneering Career of Thomas Miller,” AIGA Eye on Design (August 2, 2021)
- “How to Renew the Color of Bricks,” Gagosian Quarterly (June 9, 2020)
- “The Chicago School of Theaster Gates,” C Magazine: Contemporary Art and Criticism 131 (Autumn 2016): 8-13.
- Zorach, Art for People's Sake: Artists and Community in Black Chicago, 1965–1975 (2019), caa.reviews (May 2022)
- Sheehan, Study in Black and White: Photography, Race, Humor (2018) for the American Historical Review (March 2021)
- Ellis, Antebellum Posthuman: Race and Materiality in the Mid-Nineteenth Century (2018), in H-Slavery (January 2020).
- Guerra, Slantwise Moves: Games, Literature, and Social Invention in Nineteenth-Century America (2018), in American Journal of Play (Spring 2019)